What To Do If Rabbit Eats Poisonous Plant?

Rabbits love chewing any green thing that they get their eyes on. They can’t resist and leave any opportunity to eat plants. But, what will you do if your bunny eats a harmful and poisonous plant? What steps should be taken to remediate the effect of toxins?

Rabbits need immediate treatment when they have eaten something poisonous. Their bodies are very much temperamental when it comes to health. They suffer damage at a high rate, and therefore they only have limited time for the treatment to be done. So, for effective treatment of your rabbit, there are some steps that you need to follow.

Multiple steps for the treatment of your bunny are discussed in this article. It also enlists some of the plants that can cause harm to rabbits.


Rabbit eats a variety of things which also includes plants that can harm them. They don’t realize when to stop and which thing can cause them discomfort. So, here is what you should do if your bunny has eaten a toxic plant.

Recognize That Your Rabbit Is Feeling Sick

The first thing that you need to realize is that your rabbit has gotten sick. If you haven’t seen your bunny eat any harmful plant, then it has already been hours before you know that there is something wrong with your little friend. Earlier you discover about the sickness, quicker you can deal with the problem. But, how will you recognize that the rabbit is sick?

As a rabbit owner, you should spend enough time with them to understand their normal behavior. If your bunny’s behavior is different than usual, then it is not a good indicator. It may mean that the rabbit is sick.

Find Out What Your Bunny Has Eaten

Once you realize that your rabbit is sick, it’s time for you to identify what has made it sick. You need to find the thing that it has eaten. It is likely that your little friend may not have finished the plant that it ate. Look at the places where the rabbit has been and also check for any chewed plants. 

It can be a possibility that your rabbit ate something artificial, which is causing it discomfort. In such a case, it is better to hurry and go straight to a vet.

Determine The Quantity That The Rabbit Ate

If you have identified what your rabbit ate, it is also necessary for you to know how much did it consumed. It may be a bit difficult to know, but it still can be determined by looking at the leftover chewed plant.

The reason why we are determining the quantity consumed is that some poisonous plants can be consumed in small quantities. Eating a small number of such plants can either cause a little discomfort or no harm at all. 

If a large quantity has been consumed, you need to take some further steps to get your rabbit back to full strength.

Gathering Information Regarding Rabbit’s Health Records

It is not a step that you do after your rabbit gets sick. It is something that you should already know as a rabbit owner. One of the essential things that you should know is the species of your bunny. The anatomies of bunnies change with the change in species. Toxins affect some species quickly, and some species show less damage. Hence, it is necessary to know the type of rabbit you have.

You should also know the age of your rabbit or how big it is. Small bunnies succumb quickly, while the larger ones show slow signs of toxin infection.

Feed Soft Food And Hydrate Your Rabbit

Now that your rabbit has eaten a toxic plant, it’s time for you to take some immediate actions. Keep your bunny hydrated. Properly hydrating your little friend may prove to be helpful in flushing out the toxins from the system.

In addition to this, you also need to feed your bunny to keep up its strength. It is most likely that the bunny may not want to eat anything, but feeding them soft food, like applesauce, can keep their nutrition level up to better fight the toxins.

Consult A Vet

If you have followed all the steps up till now, and there are no signs of relief even after waiting for a few hours, it’s better to take your rabbit to a vet. 

A vet is specially trained to deal with such situations and has a better insight to help your bunny regain strength and become healthy. The vet will diagnose the rabbit properly and determine what is wrong, what it has eaten, and what is affecting the rabbit. Looking at the situation, the vet may prescribe some medicines for immediate relief. 

If your rabbit’s situation seems highly critical, then it might be wise to jump to this step directly. The situations may vary depending on the plant which your bunny ate. If the plant is highly toxic and a large quantity has been consumed, then your friend may need instant consultation from the vet.

Plants That Are Poisonous For Rabbits

There are various plants in the world, and a lot of them are safe for rabbits to eat. But, there are some plants that you can’t let your little bunny eat as they can be dangerous and poisonous. So, here are some of the common plants that you should keep your rabbit away from.


Many houseplants can be fatal to your rabbit’s health. Household plants are those plants that we usually place around the house for decoration or any other use. If you let your bunny roam around your house free-range, then you need to keep it away from some of these plants. So, let us learn a bit about these plants.

  • Aloe is one of the household plants that people usually use as a decoration and make their own aloe vera home remedy. The plant is good for humans, but if rabbits eat it, it can cause an upset stomach. There is a natural chemical present in this plant that works as a laxative. The chemical can be troublesome for rabbits.
  • Ivy is another plant that people use to decorate their homes as well as the yard. The vine-like plant looks pretty appealing to rabbits. If they eat too much of this plant, then they can suffer from ulceration in their digestive tract.
  • Pothos is one of the most common household vine plants, which is also known as Devil’s Ivy. This vine needs very little maintenance, making it a good choice for those who want to start house planting. But, if your bunny decides to eat this plant, then it can prove to be fatal. It can cause bladder stones and calcium crystals formation.
  • Chrysanthemum is a plant with a flower head and is favored by many people for house planting and yard. If the rabbit eats its flower, then it can result in skin irritation. While dealing with irritated skin, your little bunny can even cause harm to itself.
  • Eucalyptus is not among the common houseplants, but some people use it as decoration. Its leaves are not that easy to digest and can prove to be highly toxic for rabbits. Rabbit’s digestive system is very delicate, and it can only digest light plants, like hay or grass. Complex plant leaves, like eucalyptus, can be dangerous for the bunny.

Other Treacherous Plants

Houseplants are not the only ones that can be menacing for rabbits. There are a variety of fruits, vegetables, and wild plants out there that can be harmful to rabbits if eaten.

Some of the most common fruits and vegetables that are dangerous for rabbits are:

  • Avocados,
  • Potatoes,
  • Iceberg lettuce,
  • Rhubarb, and
  • Onions.

Each of these has a varying degree of harmfulness, but avocado is the most dangerous out of all. So, it is better to keep your rabbit away from all of these fruits and vegetables.

Coming on the wild plants, one of the most profound plants that can be fatal for rabbits is the Poison ivy. It is an extremely dangerous plant that can even lead to the death of your little bunny.

In addition to this, other plants that you should keep your rabbit away from are the nightshade as well as hydrangea

Interesting Facts To Know About Rabbits

One of the good things about the rabbit is that it is a highly versatile animal and can deal with many poisons and toxins. Yes, it right that the rabbits are fond of chewing almost all the plants. But, they have to consume a good quantity of a poisonous plant to have any real effect on their system.

But, it does not mean that you can allow them to eat anything they want. You still have to monitor them carefully as they require proper maintenance. You can easily do so if you learn a little something about the body of your little buddy.

Another interesting fact about rabbits that you should know is they are unable to vomit. So, if they have eaten something dangerous, the only way it can get out of their system is through the digestive tract. This process can be dangerous, but it is something that you should know if your rabbit has something poisonous in its system.

One more interesting thing about rabbits is they are cecotrophic. This means that rabbits even eat their poop to get the needed nutrients. There are some things that the rabbits can’t digest and break down the first time. That’s why they have to consume it again to gain all the nutrients. 

Such a phenomenon allows the rabbit to recycle out the poisonous plant from its system because there is a possibility that the digestive system is unable to break down the toxic plant fully.


Despite having resilience against toxins and poisons, rabbits are still prone to the dangers of poisons. They need proper care and maintenance. If they are sick, they need help because they are unable to help themselves. So, follow the above-discussed steps to help them regain their strength and be healthy again.

Yes, they have a natural way of recycling out any toxins. Sometimes, it is not enough to deal with the situation, and they can get extremely sick. Help them whenever they need and acquaint yourself with the things that can harm them. Also, learn how to best help your cute little bunny.